Every month we are asking a friendly Georgian Bay / Beaver Valley / Grey Highlands face 20 questions about their life in the area.
Meet Denise and Daryl Hall
Occupation: Denise is happily retired and Daryl is happily still employedBio: We moved to the Beautiful Beaver Valley in November 2006 from Brampton and it was completely by chance that we found our home in the fall of 2005… We haven’t looked back. Daryl is still employed, but his business involves travel, and also is lucky enough to work from home. While Denise is very happy in keeping herself busy with the various social and activity groups this active community offers. Our son Scott, and his partner Amanda reside in Owen Sound, and our daughter Ashley, son-in-law Greg, and our Pride in Joy Grandson Dawson live in Ilderton, Ontario. We are really blessed to have a wonderful family, and fantastic friends…from near and far!
1) Where in the area do I call home? Country home on Grey Rd 13 between the villages of Eugenia and Kimberley
2) Cottager or Resident? Resident
3) I cannot go a day without: Taking in the glorious beauty from our home.
4) Favourite spot to adventure in the area is: Virtually right out our front door, hiking the Bruce Trail.
5) Go to stop for ice cream is: Top O’ the Rock has the best, we like indulging in their flavour of the week from time to time.
6) Favourite area festival or fair: Nothing beats the Scarecrow Invasion in Meaford
7) Best coffee in the area is at: Fire & Ice in Markdale
8) My favourite store/shop in the area is: County Line, Fancy That & Peek Thru My Window in Markdale of course! Their store front really brightens up Markdale.
9) Between hiking, canoeing, swimming, and cycling I would rather: Denise: Hiking and Cycling, Daryl: Hiking and GOLF!
10) My favourite ski run in the area is: When I (Denise) skied, the Beaver Valley Ski Club (Did I mention I miss skiing? A LOT!)
11) Favourite place to grab brunch is: There are so many restaurants in this area. It really is hard to just pick one, but here are a few honorable mentions. In Markdale: The Barhead (sadly has closed) and Fire & Ice. In Meaford: Andrew’s Roots, and Sizzlin’. In Thornbury the Mill and Simplicity Bistro.
12) Favourite Season is:
Denise: All seasons are my favourite because our area is truly a four season area, there is so much to do in all of the beautiful seasons in the Beautiful Beaver Valley.
Daryl: Fall, especially if we have a really hot and humid summer, the fresh and cool air is a welcomed relief!
13) My favourite spot to get a fresh apple pie is: The Kimberley General Store.
14) Between a Ski Chalet and Summer cottage I would rather have: Summer Cottage. We have a summer retreat our “trailer/cottage” that is only an hour away on Arran Lake. Having built a community up there it is really fun. We really have the best of both worlds!
15) My favourite restaurant in the area is: You can see answer #11 for some of them, but for a wonderful Italian dinner nothing beats Santini’s or Brunello in Collingwood.
16) My ideal summer day in the area would be: Through the week, hiking or cycling with the groups I (Denise) belong to, but spending time in the garden is also something I enjoy.
18) My favourite waterfall in the area is: Hogg’s Falls
19) My ideal night in the area is: Spending time having great friends in for a dinner party.
20) I love the area because: We both love living in the country, as it did not take more than a minute to adjust from city life to country life. The view we have from our home is amazing, and we will never tire of the sunsets or sunrises. The Bruce Trail is literally out our front door, and we have made some amazing friendships that will last our lifetime.