Welcome to Meaford
Welcome to the Town of Meaford! Known as “The Other Big Apple”, the town prides itself in its rich agricultural history as well as in their exciting annual events and local theatre scene. Located on the shores of Georgian Bay, Meaford is a picturesque, small waterfront town. One thing that Meaford is known for is its exception theatre scene. The Meaford Hall, home to the famous Meaford International Film Festival (MIFF) and to some of the best concerts, plays and performances in the area.
During the summer months, Meaford’s Harbour is booming with activity, with boaters and anglers enjoying the warm weather. In the fall Scarecrows take over for the famous scarecrow invasion. During the winter, Meaford seems like it’s out of a storybook, as snow gently covers the streets. The Window Unveiling and Santa Claus Parade are two annual events in Meaford that perfectly set the mood for Christmas.
Meaford Community Profile
May Real Estate Market Report
In the Municipality of Meaford, there was a 5% increase in the number of new listings compared to last month and a decrease of 53% from May 2019. The number of sales is up 500% from last month and is down 40% compared to the same period last year, with the most sales in the 1 million plus range but majority of the sales in the 3-4, and 6-8 hundred thousand ranges.
Acorn Montessori Pre School – Thornbury
Beaver Valley Community School – Thornbury
Georgian Bay Secondary School – Meaford
École St. Vincent-Euphrasia Elementary School – Meaford
École Meaford Community School – Meaford
Meaford Public Library – Meaford
Meaford Museum – Meaford
General & Marine Hospital – Collingwood
Meaford General Hospital – Meaford
Explore each section below to see some of our favourite local spots. You can choose from Arts & Culture, Local Businesses that we love, Outdoor Recreational Activities and Natural Treasures!
- First settled by David Miller in 1835 and named Peggy’s Landing after his wife.
- In 1845 the surveyed village site was named after Meaford Hall, the residence of Sir John Jervis, the 1st Earl St. Vincent
- John Muir arrived in Meaford in late 1864
- Meaford Public School was built in 1868
- 1872 the first train arrived..
- Incorporated into a town in 1874 with a population of 1700 people
- Meaford High School was built in 1890
- Beautiful Joe was written by Margaret Marshall Saunders based upon her visit to Meaford in 1892
- 1901 Meaford Harbour was completed
- 1907 Beaver Brand Hardwood Flooring was trademarked
- 1922 Meaford gained hydro electricity and paved roads
- 1942 Meaford Tank Range built (now called Land Forces Central Area Training Centre)
- 1966 Dial telephone systems are available