Markdale’s present name is derived from Mark Armstrong who, along with his family, was one of the first settlers in the area in 1853. First referred to as East Glenelg and then Corabus, Markdale was founded in 1846 by George Walker and Joseph Price. It was 1888 when Markdale was incorporated into a Village and was home to several businesses including a school, a bank, a wagon shop, a drug store, and three churches.
The Armstrong family played a major role in the development of early Markdale, as they established a veneer plant, a furniture factory, a cheese box factory, and a foundry under the Armstrong Brothers firm. In 1873, Mark Armstrong sold land to the Toronto, Grey & Bruce Railway under the condition that the train station would bear his name. By 1896, electric lighting was installed, a waterworks system was in place in 1905 and street paving began in 1933.
Harry Shaw- Markdale Butcher in the early 1900’s. Split Rail Country- Vol. 1
Richard English with niece Eva smith & nephew Rober James Smith (1943) Grey Highlands Public Library Online Collection