Home > History > Meaford History
  •  First settled by David Miller in 1835 and named Peggy’s Landing after his wife.
  •  In 1845 the surveyed village site was named after Meaford Hall, the residence of Sir John Jervis, the 1st Earl St. Vincent
  •  John Muir arrived in Meaford in late 1864
  •  Meaford Public School was built in 1868
  •  1872 the first train arrived
  • Incorporated into a town in 1874 with a population of 1700 people
  •  Meaford High School was built in 1890
  •  Beautiful Joe was written by Margaret Marshall Saunders based upon her visit to Meaford in 1892
  •  1901 Meaford Harbour was completed
  •  1907 Beaver Brand Hardwood Flooring was trademarked
  •  1922 Meaford gained hydro electricity and paved roads
  •  1942 Meaford Tank Range built (now called Land Forces Central Area Training Centre)
  •  1966 Dial telephone systems are available