Home > Sellers' Guide > Growth in Our Area

Over the past five years Grey County has started to get more popular and we are seeing more people move to the area. A comparison of the 2016 stats to the 2011 “Canadian  Statistics Census” show the surge. Our Team researched the major areas in Grey County (Grey Highlands, Chatsworth, Meaford, The Blue Mountains, West Grey, Owen Sound and Collingwood) and compiled the data below.
Growth in Our Area

Municipality of Grey Highlands
For the municipality of Grey Highlands the population was 9,804 in 2016, up from 9,520 in 2011. The average age in 2016 is 43.9yrs where as in 2011 it was 46.2 years. Currently approximately 22.2% of the population is 65 or older up, from 20.5% in 2011. Just over 84% of people in Grey Highlands are home owners with the remaining percentage renting. This may be partially due to the lack of apartment buildings in the area.

Municipality of Chatsworth
For the municipality of Chatsworth the population is now up to 6,630 in 2016, a rise  from 6,437 in 2011. The average age in 2016 is 43.1yrs where as in 2011 it was 45.8 years. Currently approximately 20.7% of the population is 65 or older up, from 17.4% in 2011. Just over 89% of people in Chatsworth municipality are home owners with the remaining percentage renting.

Municipality of Meaford
For the Municipality of Meaford the population is now up to 4,910 in 2016, up from 4,860 in 2011. The average age in  2016 is 48.8 yrs where as in 2011 it was 50.4 years. Currently approximately 32.3% of the population is 65 or older up, a rise from 23.7% in 2011. Just over 80% of people in Meaford municipality currently are home owners with the remaining percentage renting.

 Municipality of The Blue Mountains
While over in Blue Mountains the population is now up to 7,025 in 2016, up from 6,453 in 2011. The average age in 2016 is 51.8 yrs where as in 2011 it was 54.2 years. Currently approximately 33.4% of the population is 65 or older up, up from 28.3% in 2011. Just over 85% of people in The Blue Mountains currently are home owners with the remaining percentage renting.

City of Owen Sound
Owen Sound boasts a population of 21,341 for the 2016 year, down from 21,753 in 2011. The average citizen in Owen Sound was 45.6yrs old, getting a little bit younger from the average age in 2011 which was 46.3yrs old. In 2016 25% of the population was age 65 or older, where only 22.4% in 2011 were 65 or older. Owen Sound is fairly divided in home ownership finding that only 57.1% of the population owned their dwelling and the remaining 42.9% were renters.

City of Collingwood
In 2016 Collingwood had a population of 21,793 which is up from the 2011 populace of 19,241. During last year the average age of the residents in Collingwood was 46.3 down slightly from 47 years old five years previous. Collingwood’s population has just 26.3% over age 65 in 2016, which is a good boost from 22.8% from 2011. During the 2016 year 73.69% of residents in Collingwood owned their property.

Municipality of West Grey
For the municipality of West Grey the population is now up to 12,518 in 2016, a rise  from 12,285 in 2011. The average age in 2016 is 49.2 yrs where as in 2011 it was 47.2 years. Currently approximately 23% of the population is 65 or older up, from 19% in 2011. Just over 84% of people in the Municipality of West Grey are home owners with the remaining percentage renting.  
Over all it seems the area of Grey County is seeing a continuous healthy amount of home owners and the citizens are staying close to home which reflects in the climb in average age.